Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Yes, I am still alive!

Well....let's see...umm....it's been a really busy December! No - really! And when I went to post today I couldn't belive I only had these three pictures to add! Sheesh!

First up is the famous Big Red Santa Hat! Knit from Rowan BiggiePrint and some acrylic crap from Hobby Lobby for the pompom. Based loosely on the Rowan Hat I made for N in Pink in the post way down below. Made it bigger all around to better fit a grown-up's head. Which is why it looks so big on N. Took it to Mark's work's Christmas party - they have a "White Elephant" gift exchange - each present can be "swapped" up to three times. The hat was a huge hit! Everyone wanted one! It was cool!



















Next up is the Big Red Tassel-Hat I made for my dorky brother for Christmas. I'd made hats for everyone else in his family (blue with random orangy bits for the boys, Rowan hats for the girls and a black cabled hat - Coronet from Knitty - for Mary). I decided he needed something funky. Hence....














Wonderfully modeled by the newel post. Made from Wool-Ease Chunky. Pattern based loosely on the RowanHat pattern - again - made bigger and this time knitted in the round because I finally broke down and bought size 17 dpns because I HATE HATE HATE seaming hats. Also added the tassel as I didn't think a pompom would "go" with this particular hat.

In further Christmas knitting, N got two hats and my mom got a simple scarf. Which I neglected to take a pic of. Everyone loved everything and wore their gifts immediately upon opening and with the exception of the 4 year old nephew - kept them on all day! :) Mom has worn her scarf everywhere and just loves it too. Yea for appreciated knitting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Size 17 DPNs?? Doesn't that feel like you're knitting with those big red pencils the kindergardeners use?

toledonative said...

Haha! Actually they're chunkier than that! But after using 17 point straights, it really wasn't much different. Although, I can never get 5 dpns (well 4 plus one to knit with) to work - just too much going on! This goes for size 2's up to 17's. SO...I only used 4 (3 plus one to knit with). With my small hands, it made it more manageable.