Thursday, May 10, 2007

Knitting!

Why, yes, I HAVE been knitting! I've been super-busy with the rest of my life, but have managed to work on a couple of projects. Neither is finished just yet, but progress has been made!

First up is a sock for N. She picked out the yarn - Opal's Flamingo colorway. I started knitting her a sock over a year ago and by the time it was finished, her foot had gotten too big for it! SO...I started over! (Her foot is now only 1/4 inch smaller than mine! yikes! She's 10!)

Natalie's Opal Flamingo Sock in Progress

Next up is Branching Out - a free pattern from Knitty (www.knitty.com). It's a super-easy beginning lace pattern (some would argue it is only pseudo-lace as every other row is purled). I was able to figure it out by myself and will be teaching it in a class this summer at Yarn Haven (see sidebar for photos of Yarn Haven)! I'm knitting it in this:

Sea Silk "Forest"

Yup, Hand Maiden's Sea Silk in the Forest colorway. I picked it up at the Fiber Fest in BG last month and I haven't regretted it at all! (Which is saying something for a $30 skein of yarn! But it has over 400 yards, so ... yeah.) It's 70% Silk and 30% SeaCell which is 95% Tencel with 5% Sea Weed. It's soft and shiny and PHENOMENAL to knit with. Hunt some down if you can. Do a quick web search to see other's opionions and results!

Here is a better picture to show the shine - it's not quite this shiny in real life, but this is a little truer to life.
Sea Silk (Forest) Branching Out in Progress

Lace always looks so darned scrunchy and aweful while you're knitting it:
Sea Silk (Forest) Branching Out in Progress

It's about 3-4 feet long (pre-blocking). I still have a ton of the skein of Sea Silk left, so I will be knitting for a while longer. I tried to pull it out a bit to show the pattern, but remember - this is still pre-blocking. I promise to post some pics post-blocking eventually!

Sea Silk (Forest) Branching Out Unblocked

1 comment:

Karen said...

Very pretty! I have two skeins of Sea Silk in my stash waiting to become a feather and fan wrap. Right now I just get it out and pet it from time to time. :-)